1. Trim back the trimmings: Shave calories by going easy when adding nuts, cheese, cream sauces, gravy, butter and whipped cream to dishes.
2. Be a food snob: If you don't love it, don't eat it. Don't feel obligated to sample everything on the buffet. Skip dishes that are available all year long, so you can indulge on holiday favorites.
3. No skipping meals: Keep a normal eating routine by having breakfast, a light lunch and maybe a snack before the big meal.
4. Alternate alcohol with nonalcoholic drinks: Cut your alcohol calories in half by alternating water or seltzer between alcoholic beverages.
5. Skip the appetizers: If you need a little nibble before the meal, go for the veggies, fruit, salsa or a small handful of nuts.